Completed Rudder and Brake Systems (Section 33)

Installed the links that attach the rudder cables to the rudder pedals. Riveted the rudder cable fairleads in place. Not pictured, I also bolted in the four adel clamps that hold the plastic rudder cable routing tubes in place. This was a huge pain in the ass. Very little room to get fingers in to get the nuts started. Plus the angle of the tunnel cants the bolts in toward the adjacent structure making it hard to get a socket or wrench on the nuts. But futzed with it long enough and got it done.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 170.0
Total Time (hours): 624.5

Installed rudder pedals and brake lines

Attached the brake pedals and brake master cylinders to the rudder pedals.

img_3811

 

Drilled out the mounting blocks and installed the rudder pedal assembly into the fuselage.

img_3812

 

Installed the brake fluid reservoir. The threads in the filler neck were galled so I’m going to call Van’s and have them send me a replacement. I mounted it in place anyway so that I could run all the brake lines.

img_3813

 

Installed the brake lines.

 

Separated and painted the rudder cable links. I’ll install these along with the fairleads where the cables exit the tunnel tomorrow and that will complete this section.

img_3816

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Fuselage Time (hours): 168.0
Total Time (hours): 622.5

Finished riveting side skins and installed systems

Finished riveting the side skins! Remy came down and bucked that last row that I couldn’t reach solo.

IMG_1979

 

Ran the rudder cables, wiring harness, and ELT antenna cable.

IMG_1980

Remy helped rivet the rudder stops.

IMG_1981

Installed the rudder cable guide blocks.

IMG_1982

Installed the nut plates along the longerons. I didn’t rivet the nut plates for the cover plates because I decided to use countersunk screws and needed to order the correct nut plates from Van’s.

IMG_1983

I installed the static ports. Here’s one from the outside.

IMG_1984

…and from the inside. The static ports are actually pop rivets. I set the rivets and then used the broken off part of the mandrel to drive out the part that remained in the rivet.  I drilled a 1/4″ hole in a piece of scrap wood and used it as a backing block and tapped the mandrel out with a small hammer.

After I took this picture, I added a fillet of silicone around the tube and fitting per the instructions.

IMG_1985

While preparing to install the static system, I wasn’t paying attention to the instructions and cut the polypropylene tubing instead of the clear tubing. So I ordered a replacement from Van’s along with my nut plates.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 8.0
Empennage Time (hours): 170.0
Total Time (hours): 170.0