Much progress on rear spar

Peeled the vinyl from all the parts. Did the minor cutting and fabrication called out in the plans. Cleaned up and deburred all the edges with file, deburring tool, scotch brite wheel, and sandpaper. Scuffed everything with a scotch brite pad.

img_2298

 

Assembled and final drilled the aileron hinges. The inboard hinges are from the service bulletin. I’m surprised they haven’t updated the plans yet. Had to follow the SB instructions.

img_2299

img_2304

 

Clamped the spar doublers to the spars and match drilled them.

 

Drilled out the aileron pushrod hole in the inboard doublers and cleaned them up with the Dremel.

 

Clecoed the right rear spar together with the wing assembly.

img_2315

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 59.0
Total Time (hours): 270.0

Fabricated the HS Attach Support and Rudder Stops

I cut the horizontal stabilizer attach bar support angle from the provided aluminum angle. I measured it out with the calipers, marked it. Drilled stop holes in the inside corners and used the bandsaw to remove most of the material. I finished removing material with a vixen file and cleaned it up on the scotch brite wheel.

IMG_1869

Made the rudder stops from the provided aluminum angle. I measured with calipers, marked up the angle and cut it on the band saw. I cleaned it up with a file and the scotch brite wheel.

IMG_1870

I machine countersunk the top two holes in each rudder stop. I was totally stumped on how to countersink the other two holes on the inside of the angle. The countersink cage won’t fit. After some head-scratching I gave Jared a call to see what he did.

IMG_1872

Apparently theres a thing called a “paint cutter arbor” that has the same threading as the countersink cage and one can mount the countersink cutter into it and mount it in the drill press. So I ordered one from Aircraft Spruce.

screen shot 2019-01-11 at 7.42.13 pm

 

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.5
Empennage Time (hours): 131.0
Total Time (hours): 131.0