Riveted the right top wing skins

Awesome helper! Remy bucked and I shot.

img_2437

We got the both skins the wing walk doublers riveted to the spars and ribs.

img_2438

Clecoed the J-channel stiffeners to the skins.

img_2440

Riveted the stiffeners to the skins.

img_2441

Tomorrow I’ll rivet the nut plates to the inboard rib and attach the outboard aileron bracket. That will complete the top skins section.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 86.0
Total Time (hours): 297.0

Left wing top skin complete

Remy and I riveted the J channels to the top skin.

img_2431

Riveted the outboard aileron bracket to the outboard rib and rear spar. My new 7″ long rivet set came in handy here.

Left wing top skins done!

img_2435

Clamped the right wing sub-structure to the benches. Clecoed the skins and wing walk doublers in place.

img_2436

 

Today’s Time (hours): 1.5
Wing Time (hours): 83.0
Total Time (hours): 294.0

Attached nut plates at inboard rib and countersunk screw holes

Riveted the nut plates that will be used to attach the wing attach point fairings. I was able to squeeze all the rivets.

img_2428

Machine countersunk the corresponding #8 screw holes to fit a dimpled skin.

img_2429

Clecoed and match drilled the outboard aileron bracket. Then deburred everything and clecoed back in place.

img_2430

It was a bit too ate in the evening for riveting so that will have to wait until tomorrow. If Remy can buck a few more rivets with me, I should be able to get the stiffeners riveted in and the left wing top skins will be complete!

Today’s Time (hours): 1.0
Wing Time (hours): 81.5
Total Time (hours): 292.5

Riveted rear spars to ribs and started on top skins

Riveted the rear spars to the wing ribs. I tried to use the squeezer but it was cumbersome with several different rivet sizes and with the flanges in the way. So I switched to the gun. This was much easier.

img_2382

 

And of course, no section is complete without a few mistakes. I used the wrong size rivets in ribs behind the doublers. I used 4-4’s and needed 4-5’s the shop heads were too thin to be acceptable. So I drilled them all out. Nine rivets in total. I couldn’t punch the rivets out because there was nothing to back them up when I hit them with the punch. So I had to drill them all the way out. I was super careful but the holes are enlarged ever so slightly. If this wasn’t a critical structure, I’d probably just re-rivet it but this area carries the load from the ailerons and flaps. So I’ll go with a larger river to ensure structural soundness. I order some -5 rivets, a #21 drill, and a 5/32″ rivet set from Spruce.

img_2383

 

I clecoed the wing walk doubles and inboard top skins to the spars and ribs.

img_2384

 

I also put in an order with Van’s for some fuel tank sealant.

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 69.0
Total Time (hours): 280.0

Fixed the right aileron hinge and riveted to rear spar

Did some flying with Jared today in his RV-14A. Awesome day dancing around some scattered clouds and some fun aerobatics. Thanks for the great flight today, Jared! The aerobatic training is definitely paying off. Sorry no pics. I was having too much fun!

Meanwhile back at the airplane factory…

Received the replacement parts from vans and did the little bit of fabrication necessary to prepare the doublers and attach brackets.

img_2369

Deburred and primed the new parts with SEM rattle can primer. Riveted the attach brackets to the hinge.

img_2372

 

Riveted the hinge and doublers to the right rear spar.

img_2373

 

The mistake cost me $45 in parts and an hour and a half of build time.

img_2376

 

Got my new 3/8″ reamer from McMaster Carr. Used it in the drill press to precisely size the rear spar attach holes. The twisted flutes cut like butter.

img_2380

 

Clecoed the rear spars to the wing ribs. Ready to rivet tomorrow.

img_2381

 

Today’s Time (hours): 2.0
Wing Time (hours): 67.0
Total Time (hours): 278.0

Primed and started riveting the rear spar and Ordered Engine and Prop

Had an awesome time at Sun N Fun with Jared, Wes, and the Family. That’s me ordering an engine and prop in Van’s tent! And that’s me and Remy sitting in the RV14 at Van’s booth. Suddenly this is getting more real.

 

We got back from Lakeland this morning and I got right back to work. No rest for the wicked! Primed the rear spars and all of their associated parts.

img_2350

 

Clecoed the aileron hinges together.

img_2351

 

…and riveted them.

img_2352

Clecoed the spars together.

img_2353

Started riveting the doublers to the spars with the squeezer.

img_2354

 

Today’s Time (hours): 3.0
Wing Time (hours): 63.0
Total Time (hours): 274.0

Much progress on rear spar

Peeled the vinyl from all the parts. Did the minor cutting and fabrication called out in the plans. Cleaned up and deburred all the edges with file, deburring tool, scotch brite wheel, and sandpaper. Scuffed everything with a scotch brite pad.

img_2298

 

Assembled and final drilled the aileron hinges. The inboard hinges are from the service bulletin. I’m surprised they haven’t updated the plans yet. Had to follow the SB instructions.

img_2299

img_2304

 

Clamped the spar doublers to the spars and match drilled them.

 

Drilled out the aileron pushrod hole in the inboard doublers and cleaned them up with the Dremel.

 

Clecoed the right rear spar together with the wing assembly.

img_2315

 

Today’s Time (hours): 4.5
Wing Time (hours): 59.0
Total Time (hours): 270.0