Unfortunately Jared was unable to make it over to work with me today. I’ll be docking his pay. 🙂
Work on the the left elevator is still halted until I have a means to rivet the hinge portion of the aft spar. To wit I have ordered a complete range of squeezer flush sets from Aircraft Spruce. They should be here tomorrow.
Significant progress to report on the right elevator however…
Riveted the rear spar and rib assembly to the bottom right skin.
Actually some progress was made on the left elevator. I was able to rivet the ribs to the bottom skin as well as the trim doubler assembly.
I riveted the skin to the rear right spar using the special bucking bar to reach the shop heads.
Side view of the special bucking bar in action.
I fabricated the tool called out in the plans but didn’t actually need it on the right elevator. Maybe it’s necessary on the left?
I blind-riveted the top and bottom halves of the ribs together. I was able to reach the aft rivets with no problem.
Here they are all riveted.
I riveted the forward spar to the ribs.
…And then riveted the skins to the spar with the squeezer.
I riveted the skins to the and root ribs as well.
Next I’ll glue the aft ribs in place with Pro Seal, install the trailing edge, shoot the last few rivets in the root and tip ribs and she’ll be done!
I had one oops today and a gripe with the plans. They remind you that the counterweight skins go under the elevator skins after you’ve already riveted the aft spar and the ribs. This made it impossible to correct. I tried to carefully pull the skin out and bend the counterweight skin up as little as possible but it left a bit of a permanent bend. Nothing tragic. Just annoying. It would have been more helpful if the plans provided this warning when they had me cleco in the forward spar assembly.
|Today’s Time (hours):||4.5|
|Empennage Time (hours):||112.5|
|Total Time (hours):||112.5|